The mill was founded in 1671. Russian troops destroyed it in 1721, but it was rebuilt. The remaining blast furnace is from the 1860's, an imposing monument that reminds us of our iron mill history.
During the 1800's, the mill area was expanded and moved closer to the sea. On the site of the old mill, an English park and a large manor was erected. Today, many of the buildings are destroyed, including the large manor. The blast furnace, however, was restored in the 1970's.
The remaining English park is still well-kept and definitely worth a visit, since it too reminds us of a long lost age of luxury and elegance. In the park there are ponds and canals, and the blossoming green area with its system of waterways is the perfect place for a picnic. On a small island, there is a bower which has become the symbol of Hyttan, the association that takes care and preserves the mill today. Since 2011, Axmar is a cultural preserve.
In the Yellow House, there is a summer café during july. The old storehouse Bläckhornet, located just by the sea, hosts art and handicraft. The blast furnace Hyttan contains art, too, during some summer periods.
Guides can be booked.
Good to know